Wednesday, September 06, 2006

September with St. Therese - September 6


Welcome to our series tracing the last month of St. Therese's life on this earth which was September 1897. It 's called September with St. Therese and I hope you will visit here every day for an inspirational message about our dear little saint.

We will bring you excerpts from Her Last Conversations and Novissima Verba which follow her struggle the last few months of her life. On days for which there are no specific quotes, I will select a passage from one of her writings.

"Say a few sweet words to me after what happened yesterday."
"I said, 'Ah! What could I say to console you, poor little one? I'm quite powerless."
"I don't need any consolation."

"In the afternoon, she cried with joy when someone brought her a relic of Blessed Theophane Venard.
With great tenderness, she offered me a little daisy for my anniversary.
She was very demonstrative, all through the afternoon, in her affection for us, and was attractive in all sorts of ways. I said: 'I've noticed that whenever you are able, you return to the way you were formerly.'
'Ah! That's very true! Yes, whenever I can, I do my very best to be cheerful in order to please you.'

"She was waiting for Father Youf to hear her confession; he was unable to come and this was a real disappointment. But immediately, she took on her beautiful peaceful expression."

"Someone brought her some nourishment because her stomach was very much improved:
'Alas! Where am I in this sickness? Now I am eating!' " Excerpted from Her Last Conversations.

St. Therese, open our hearts to accept the sufferings that Jesus sends us. Teach us your little way and help us to see the graces that can come from joining our sufferings to the passion of Jesus.

No comments: